Monday, May 2, 2011

Santa Cruz 1st day pictures


Had a few good days in a row. It is cloudy and cool today and there is hint of rain in the air. Nothing planned for today. PGroove is coming to town on Friday. After it rains I'll spread the weedkiller but fearful of what the yard will look like without much grass. Going to take a guitar and maybe the mandolin to my guitar tech for some minor adjustments this week. Thinking about selling 2 or 3 of them. Too damn many 'round here.


I was pretty tired yesterday after spending the day with Eric and Dawn at the Bluegrass festival in Wilksboro. I attended from 1996-2004, but not again until this one. They went for three days and I joined them only on Sunday. It was too cold, then too hot. I wandered over to the guitar tent where, in past years there was much activity and lots of manufacturers. Very few showed up this year. I walked past the Taylor guitars (they are generally to bright sounding for me) but stopped at the Santa Cruz booth. I'd never played a Santa Cruz. Played several, more out of boredom than anything. Kept going back and narrowed my interest to one. Went back, left, went back, left, started negotiations, left again. Sat at the stage for a while debating "would I regret not buying if I didn't or regret if I did?" It appeared that I would be facing regret either way but one way I would have the guitar to help me through my regret. I mean regretful and empty-handed seemed silly. I finally decided if the price was right, I would buy it. The factory rep was forced to call her boss (on a Sunday no less) because I offered $850 less than their sale price. Hardest bargaining I"ve ever done. I was ready to walk away but didn't have to.

I have a wonderful top of the line Yamaha, a Gibson J-200, either would have any guitarist deliriously happy, and now a (sold as used but not a single mark on her (they're all female to me)) Santa Cruz model D Custom. Santa Cruz only makes 700 guitars a year. The don't ever need to discount them. So getting 45% off list for a basically new guitar seemed like a good idea, esp. since I would likely never get another chance to own one.

Dreadnought size, Sitka Spruce top, Walnut back and sides.



  http://jambandfan.smugmug.com/Personal/Santa-Cruz-D-custom/16873530_qQZTKB#1274237665_8xDbQKt



No comments:

Post a Comment