Thursday, December 30, 2010

shortwave antenna tuner

Hi! Wow, yesterday was a bitch. Absolutely fatigued all day. Hit the sheets about 8:30p and slept until 4am, the back to bed at 7a and slept until 8:30 when Russell decided to wake me up. After 9 hours sleep I feel a bit better. Tried out the antenna tuner this morning and listened to the Voice of Nigeria for 45 minutes in English. Sent them a reception report by email. I used to actually type these reports on areogrammes and wait for the QSL cards. I think I still have the old cards but I have not been able to find them yet. While looking for them I tossed out three large boxes of old papers, time sheets, notes from past jobs, lots of ip addresses, admin passwords, instruction on loading software when I was at Corporate Information Technologies. Guess I won't be needing any of that.

The tuner does appear to help pull weak signals out of the static. My last one seemed to make more of a difference, but I think I have a better antenna design and perhaps a better radio. I was using a Sony ICF-2010 and using two long wire antenna. My long term plan is to erect a second antenna and to get another radio. With the tuner I should be able to switch radios and antennas easily.

One thing I didn't have before was the wealth of information available on the Internet. I was able to pull up the Voice of Nigeria's website while listening to it. Another really cool thing is the information on solar conditions, propogation reports and other listener reports. The new World Radio and TV Handbook (2011) should be ut soon and I've already ordered it.

As the shortbands are pretty shutdown right now, I'm watching 10th episode of Season 8 of 24. No plans for NYE. If recent experience is a guide. I'll be asleep before midnight tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment