Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Piezo Quacks

Gave the Gibson J-200's new Fishman Infinity piezo pickup a tryout yesterday and found it quacks like a big duck.  Looked up solutions and finally called Sweetwater Music to get advice on preamps that might help. Quacking is the informal term for overdriving the pickups with hard strumming. The J-200 just begs to be played hard. So, advised to consider the Fishman Aura DI ($329) and the ToneBone PZ pu ($299) I reviewed the specs and decided to try lowering the volume on the pick up itself and raising the gain and volume on the amp. It worked. So now I don't need a preamp, but a bigger amp, lol. Might add a small booster for the signal, but nothing that would affect the tone.

It is always something.

Played the Gibby standing today, so I could make adjustments on the amp while playing, and found that I had no strain or pain in my left arm and wrist. Interesting.

Submitted my Music on the Mountaintop review and pictures this evening. Tomorrow the TLG review to complete and the Martin D-15's K & K Western pickup to test.

Watching the hurricane progression. Worried that Vicki won't be able to fly home on Friday. In fact, I think it's likely she will be stuck in Charlotte. Might be driving to the airport Friday afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment