Sunday, September 5, 2010

Gibson Dove Performer

Just got home from Sam Ash. I went to get more guitar stands (on sale). As I walked in right at opening I had the guitar room and the salesman all to myself. Best service I've had there. I went in to compare the Songwriter and the Hummingbird. They only had the Songwriter Studio so it wasn't the comparison I'd hoped for. Being me, I wasn't planning on buying new anyway. Played both, then a J-200  (mine is better probably due to 17 years of opening up) a J-45, and then the salesman handed me the new (made for Sam Ash) Dove Performer (see photo). Scallaped bracing as Gibson used in the 1930's models and AAA Sitka Spruce top and to both of our surprise, Maple back and sides (which is the typical Dove tonewoods). I was more than impressed with the playability, the neck and the tone. A little higher than the J-200 and the J-45. I kept out the J-45 for comparisons sake. The salesman said they would match a competitor's 15% off coupon bring the price to $1,869 with hardshell case and lifetime warrenty. I barely got out of the store without it. I figure I have 29 hours left to get that deal.  I need a program to treat my GAS.

Watching ECU play Tulsa and nearing the end of the first half, ECU up 17 - 13. Lovely weather today, sunny and lower 80's with low humidity. Dogs free play time in a few minutes, at halftime.

Programmed the Zoom for the Martin D-15. Amazing sound, using a D-28 model it sounded just like a D-28. Scary good. The Gibson is in the process of getting a patch (that is what Zoom calls a saved collection of settings.) As there are 40 editable patches, I may program more than one patch per guitar. 

Lazy Labor Day Sunday.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the nice review. I bought one of these Dove Performers today as a now discontinued special edition. I love the sound and plugged it in when I got home-- wow, sounds really lively in my Fishman Loudbox. I am excited to start playing it out. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete