Saturday, June 11, 2011

Skye's birthday today






My first Pembroke Welsh Corgi turns 12 today. She was born on the same day as my first date with my ex-wife. Harriet and I had been seeing each other for only a few weeks when she went to England to study at Cambridge for the summer. We only spoke a few times while she was away but we wrote each other everyday. I found her letters while cleaning out the the file cabinets.  During that time she said she wanted to have a dog. We discussed breed after breed and when I suggested the Corgi breed having known one many years before. She read about Corgis and saw a photo, she immediately decided that was what she wanted.  Shortly after she return from England we found Skye. The breeder thought that Skye would be too small to become a show dog and we bought her on our first visit to the kennel. She was named after and island off the coast of Scotland as was her brother, Lewis.

She was so excited to come live with us. She acted like we hadn't gotten a dog, it was like she had been given two people. She wouldn't leave our side. She would get her food in the kitchen and would put two or three bits in her mouth and run into the living room and eat them by us, then run back and get more and bring it in until she was finished with her dinner. When Harriet and I would shower Skye would crap on the floor. She did this over and over. Never did figure out why. She demanded so much attention from us that after about 6 months, we bought her a dog. We found one of her brothers from the next litter, same parents. Lewis came to live with us and Skye had a playmate. She was thrilled. They played every minute for the next 9 years. It was like they were two halves of the same dog. A two headed - legged dog.


When Harriet moved out, Skye was inconsolable for more than a year. She still prefers human females to males, except of course me.  When Lewis passed away, I thought she would miss him. I saw no signs of that however. But I missed him a 6 months afterwards I brought Russell home. Skye tolerates him but secretly I think she likes the company. Last night she decided to sleep on the back porch. Russell decided to keep her company and stayed out there too. What a pal.

So at 12, Skye has slowed. She no longer wants to go for long walks, especially now that it is so hot. She just likes to wander through the neighbor's yards search for cat food and other things she can turn in to food. She likes to sit in the shade. For her birthday I gave her bath yesterday, but told her it was a spa treatment. 

                                                 Happy Birthday Skye!

young Skye

No comments:

Post a Comment