Thursday, June 16, 2011

I love dog movies



I got "Hachi: A Dog's Tale," from Netflix this week. I didn't realize I'd ordered the American version but watched it anyway. I'm not a big fan of Richard Gere but he dies pretty early in the film. The star of the movie is an Akita named Hachi. The movie is based on a true story in the early part (1923-1935) of the 20th century in Japan. It is the story of a dog who lives with his master for two years walking him to the train station everyday and then returning to meet his master in afternoon when the train returned. One day his master dies and he does not understand. Nothing and no one can keep him from going to meet the train in the afternoon. For the next 10 years, everyday, Hachi walks to the station and waits. The movie and the story is absolutely heart wrenching. At the end of the film, as Hachi is dying, he sees his master come for him and jumps into his arms, finally happy again.

After watching that version I went to the Internet and found the orginal film, "Hachiko Monogatari," in Japanese and with English Subtitles. According to the American version and Wikipedia, there is a statue of Hachi at the train station where is waited for his master to return. Hundreds of dog lovers gather on the aniversary of his death to honor his loyalty.

After watching both versions yesterday I got my two corgis up on the couch with me and just hugged them until they got tired of it and ran away. Imagine a dog remembering someone for so long. After each movie I cried more than I could remember. I love dogs. I promised both of mine last night, I would never leave them.


Got new lenses for my eyeglasses today and can read the small print again. Also, my yearly oil change. I've seen four different doctors (internist, dentist, opthamologist, and neurologist) so far this month, I think that should be quite enough.

Tomorrow night, Phish at Verizonwireless in Charlotte. Six days until I board the jet for my New York City vacation and birthday celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment