Saturday, June 4, 2011

Mid-Missouri mandolin

   I've started the re-learning process of playing the mandolin. I am finding it fairly easy so far. Maybe because I've been learning new chords for the past two and a half years. Maybe because my fingers are stronger from all the playing time.

   I have been hitting the books, so to speak, to find out more about the mandolin I bought in 1998 (?), at Merlefest, the famous Bluegrass festival. Which was also where I bought the Santa Cruz Custom Dreadnaught this past April. Yes, now two impulse purchases at Merlefest. I bought the mando from some fellow who was a pretty famous player, who was living near Asheville, NC.

   I think I had been looking at mandos before buying this one. Somehow the memory is very faint. I think I was unemployed at the time, another strange habit I have. That is buying guitars when I'm broke. Maybe it is I just have time to play. Anyway, the mando I bought was made by the Mid-Missouri Mandolon Company. I recall after owning for a while the back cracked and I sent it back to the factory where the owner repaired with a higher quality back. The company went bust after a fire and being screwed by the insurance company, in 2008.

   My model is the M-2 which has a Sitka Spruce top and a Maple back and Side, Honduras Mahogany Neck and Rosewood fretboard. I think it has a really sweet tone. James, the tech who worked on it this week, was quite impressed with the instrument and he has a room full of mandos there at the store.

   Today I played my Mando (spruce and maple), and then my Hofner bass (spruce and maple), then my Gibson J-200 (spruce and maple). Interesting, huh? Then I played one of the Yairi DY-67 and finally my Yamaha. About 3 hours total.

   Maybe my Gibson search will end up with me getting a Dove (spruce and maple) or maybe a Songwriter (spruce and rosewood) or a Hummingbird (spruce and mahogany). Besides I haven't the funds for another guitar right now. But, it'll be fun to look and perhaps a deal will present itself in my future. Hell, I got the J-200 for only $1300. I looked at a 1956 Gibson Southern Jumbo (spruce and mahogany) the other day. Only $2200. I bet they'll drop it 10%. OK let's not go there right now, lol.

   I'd like to welcome readers from China, Ecuador, and Great Britain.

No comments:

Post a Comment