Tuesday, January 18, 2011

the way insurance works

So I get this bill for an MRI and CT scan. I get these twice a year now. Total so far, over 20. So the bill comes (I have new insurance and the cheapest rate I could find was $1,000 per month) and I see that the charge for these two procedures is over $11,000. Because I have insurance, the hospital deducts $10,000. Over 90%. Without insurance I would have been charged the entire $11,000. Now we can assume that the hospital isn't losing money on the deal by accepting only the $1,000, ergo the $11,000 charge is completely bogus. However that is the charge. So, who is less likely to have insurance (who puts the screws to the hospital to change a more  reasonable fee)? The poor, the unemployed and underemployed,  those whose employment does not offer insurance. The game is so rigged against those least able to pay.

So, for a six month of insurance coverage I pay $6,000 and a deductible of $1,000, to get the insurance discount at the hospital of $10,000. My insurer paid $5.81.

My advice, don't get sick and if you do, don't survive, or be very rich.

No comments:

Post a Comment