Saturday, January 8, 2011

45kg of atomic energy 1.57m of determination

Last night was really fun. The weather forecast was for rain and snow and I have the worst car in the world for snow/ice. Big fat slick summer tires, engine in front and rear wheel drive. Kidney stone pain was about a 3 (at a 5 I head to the hospital, at a 7 I cannot answer questions from the medical staff, I won't ever describe what 8 is like). Slept poorly for the past two nights and fatigue running all week about a moderately high level. As I mentioned before, something inside was telling me I should meet this young woman, so I am going, not matter what. "Neither rain, nor sleet, nor dark of  ..." well you know.

Preparations included an attempt at sleep earlier in the day, unsuccessful, and I think to myself, "self, if hypnosis is good enough for others, it should be good enough for you." Mid afternoon I hypnotize myself to find energy and some minor pain relief. The induction includes a post hypnotic instruction to become more energized as 7:30p approaches. Of course I get there early and stand in the cold, filled with anticipation. Clutching my Doctoral Thesis, which she's ask me to bring, making her the first person to ever read my only copy. On time, a little slip of a girl comes walking down the sidewalk, waving. You could fit this girl on a postage stamp. I choose the restaurant, Cabo Fish Taco based on all the pictures on her FB pages of her of holding fish. Get there and the wait is 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Nope. So off to Boudreaux's where, after she crab soup, we find neither of us is really hungry. We head next door to the Neighborhood Theater to stand in the cold in order to be two of the first 50 in order to get free T-shirts. She seems excited by this. We score and head across the street for more coffee (I'd been pounding coffee since 4:30p). Unhappily there is no chocolate ice creme to put in her coffee. By the time we head to the show, we've had about 2 hours to chat. The longer we talk the more impressed I am. On the way into the show we stop by her car for her to get into her Party Suit (I think she called it). I am reminded of the scene in the movie "Hackers" where, at a party, Lord Nikon (yes that is where I got my photography name), while looking a very hot girl, says to his friend, "Spandex is a privilege, not a right."  Well Sarah has earned that right. 'Nuff said on that subject. Well almost enough. She is a doll.

I do not take my camera for a change and just enjoy listening to the music. I know, I know, what a concept. When I do shoot and the camera is in my hand, everything fades out except the shooting, the light and the music. I wanted to be able to concentrate on my new friend. Little did I realize she knew dozens of people there and can be quite the social butterfly. In light of her recent and apparently unhappy break up, I think she is just forcing herself to be social and not dwell in her underlying sadness. We are sitting in the balcony, practically the only time I have her to myself, and The Cure song, "Why Can't I Be You" pops in my head. I find everything she does is utterly charming. Even when she loses a sock.

I manage to hang on to the end and at 2:30am head for home. One poor puppy got sick all over the house. Nothing like cleaning up at 3am. Sarah heads to an after party. I have friends meeting me for breakfast so 8am comes all to early. The reward for only getting 4 hours sleep is getting to see my friend Shelly (ex- Lance employee) for the first time time in two months. Even when, like today, neither of us has anything really interesting going on in our lives, it s just very nice to see her. I guess we've been friends about 8 years now.

So, Sarah (I know you are reading this) Let's be Friends! Email coming.

oh yea, there were three bands. First was Funkaponya (fuck a pony?) and last was Actual Proof. They had a video going in the background during the show and therefore little to no light on the band. I thanked god I wasn't planning to shoot that. I'll wait to see how the guys who did shoot, were able to get any shots.
(sorry no pictures today)

No comments:

Post a Comment