Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Warning: Extreme Geek Content --- Software Designed Radio

As I posted previously, the world (haha) of shortwave radio has changed so much since my last entry into the hobby of World Band Radio. The basic ideas of shortwave broadcasting stations, a receiver and an antenna haven't changed much. The ability to access to information about broadcasts is simply amazing. Even on the early 90's all I had was a newsletter, "World of Radio" which came twice a month, and the book "Passband to World Radio" published yearly. I would turn on the radio and turn the dials listening for signals, then look up what I may have been hearing.

The week I loaded a freeware program called, "Shortwave Log," It is intended to be a place to log your dx (long distance listening) but in fact is a SQL database back end where one can load data from many sources and display in several views. In fact I loaded the databases of the "World Radio and TV Handbook," and the "English Language Broadcasts.

If that isn't enough, there is a new type of radio called Software Designed Radio. The is a small box containing a DSP (digital signal processor) and it takes the analogue signal from the antenna and through to a computer where is processing of the digital signal takes place. The computer becomes the front end and control of the radio and the interface for the listener is the keyboard and mouse.


I will use my Dell 105 quad dual processors and 8GB of RAM. Plenty of processing power I think. There are several software control applications to test. These devices will also display other transmission types, SSB, CW, RTTY, even satellites.

It's on the truck to be delivered today. Another trip to Radio Shack to get a few connectors.

The scheme is 27m inverted - L antenna > stepdown balun > to coax to the house > MFJ 959C antenna tuner > RFspace > computer > graphic equalizer (to reduce noise) > headphones.

Sounds like fun for the ultra geek in me.

On another topic:

Yesterday I went electric on with my Martin D-15 and recorded a few songs on my Zoom H2 digital recorder.  I am happy to say I sounded pretty good. A few memory lapses here and there but overall quite well done. Next project is to learn to use the audio engineering application so I might record the vocals, guitar(s), and bass in separate tracks.

Now sitting quietly awaiting the UPS guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment