Monday, August 2, 2010

monday morning

Good morning all,

Thought I'd share a bit from my weekend. Molly was happy with the photos of her band "Amelia's Mechanics." Friday night was WideSpread Panic, a band I first saw in 1987 and have seen most years since then. Almost a ritual with me since that time. I could not count the number of times I've seen them. Back in the day I used to be guest listed and more than once saw them with fewer that a dozen people. Originally they were more a Dead cover band, something they deny, but just check the set lists from 1986-7.  Dave was the first one I met in the Summer of 1987, which was when I moved to Athens. Sonny was the nicest one, he was once the doorman at the long gone, "Uptown Lounge." Sonny used to comp me in to all the shows at the Uptown during that summer. Great guy. John Bell taught me the song "Me and My Uncle," but was a little stand offish. Mikey was always too stoned to talk. He used to play sitting down.

Had my usual Saturday morning breakfast at Toast with brother Eric. Spent the rest of the day playing the guitar, playing with the dogs, and working one of my books. Working on which guitar sounds better with what song. The Martin D-15 certainly has it's place in lineup. I find it is best suited for the Americanna, and Bluegrass strumming. Sounds good fingerpicking but is not loud. I intend to have Fine's to put in a K & K western pickup and then we'll see how it sounds amplified. So I switched between guitars frequently.

Got the house cleaned, even the screened-in porch. I have discovered the TV show, 24. I love catching a series where I can watch (Netflix instantly) ever episode without having to wait a week in between. I think I'd have gone crazy watching 24 and having to wait a week in between shows. So besides the anxiety from watching the show, it was a very restful weekend. Happily, I have health and dental insurance now. It took almost two months to get it. The new national healthcare bill was not helpful to this point, maybe by 2014. Expensive as all hell.




So, I'm writing a non-fiction book on a newcomers guide to accessing the 12 step programs. After 26 years of experience and over 6,000 meetings, I feel somewhat qualified to write this. I've also starting ou a science fiction novel. I've been thinking of the the technical aspects of computer-brain interfacing for years and the idea of turning it into a novel occurred to me a couple of weeks ago. Sort of a dystopia where the individual is lost into the greater whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment