Monday, August 23, 2010

PGroove and Charleston

Busy weekend. Submitted my album review to Honest Tune for The Mantras latest CD, Dharland:

http://www.honesttune.com/content/view/2546/26/

Drove to Charleston on Thursday to see my friend Marsha, sun on the beach, and to shoot the PGroove show at the Music Farm. I left later than I'd hoped due to torrential rains in the morning. Unfortunately my doctor diagnosed a kidney stone on Wednesday but I decided to go anyway. It was worth the discomfort. We took a very long walk on the beach Thursday evening.


On Friday morning, a couple of hours at the beach where right after I got out of the ocean, I spotted a small shark feeding in the shallow water. Then came a storm that dropped a ton of water on everything. We headed to the show around 8:30. Happily we were on the guest list and were able to get chairs and a table on the balcony overlooking the stage. I found the dressing room and hung out with the band for a while. Brock and I discussed Gibson acoutic guitars (he is playing a J-45 these days) and pick up options. He is in favor of adding an L. Baggs. I need to call him to find out exacly which model. I'll need to electrify the J-200 so I can play a song for Adam and Conley at their wedding. I'm thinking Bob Dylan's, "Forever Young." So I need to get practicing that as well.

The show was excellent and I had even dreamed the night before that they would play Peter Gabriel's and they did! Made all the more amazing by the fact they hadn't played it in nearly 5 years. Adam even asked if there was something I wanted them to play, but they were already going to do so. We also caught on of my favorites, "53 More Things to do in Zero Gravity."

I spent Sunday and this morning finishing the post production on the PG photos and wrote up my review. Submitted both, uploaded the photos to my Smugmug site and to the PG website.

On the way home I stopped at "Ye Olde Music Shop" and met the owner, Mike. He let me play a new Gibson J-200 and a J-45. I was thrilled see my J-200 was as good as his. We discussed the Gibson Songwriter and Hummingbird and prices. He offers the best deals I have encountered, hundreds of dollars less than the lowest Internet prices. He did not have any in stock but said he gets them all the time and his conact in Bozeman picks them out special for him. I know from where my next guitar is coming!


I am covering the music festival in Boone, Music in the Mountaintop this Friday and Saturday.

http://www.musiconthemountaintop.com/index.php

On Sunday I'll be covering Tea Leaf Green at the Neighborhood Theater. So happy to be shooting regularly again.

No comments:

Post a Comment