Saturday, July 3, 2010

Phish, holy crap!!!

Last night was my second Phish show ever, the first being in 1992. At the 1992 show (@ the Georgia Theater, Athens, Ga.) I thought the band amazingly technical, especially with the trampolines and all, but lacked something I called soul. I've seen Trey with his band and even once saw (@ the Christmas Jam 2007) Trey and Mike with Bill Kreutzmann but not the whole band. It was incredible! I thought I was at a Grateful Dead show. Everyone was smiling and totally engaged with the band. Lots of dancing ensued. I lucked into a Chalkdust Torture and You Enjoy Myself, my two favorite Phish songs ever. I attended the show alone and had one of the best times at any concert. I was so happy.

While waiting to meeet up with my friend Piper Templeton, I spotted Jeff Kravitz, photographer to the stars, heading for the vendors. He'd lost maybe 50 pounds since I last saw in the photo pit at Langerado (2008). We met at Caribbean Holidaze 2005 in Jamaica. The most amazing thing about seeing him again was that he remembered my name, both last night and when we were at Langerado. I get his email newsletter so I know what he's up to every week. But to remember my name is amazing. One photographer in a thousand, me I mean. Jeff is such a great guy.

Oh, but back to Piper. We were very good friends about three years ago, phone buddies. She got off to college (Warren Wilson College) and got busy and we kind of let our friendship slide to a few emails every now and then and a few missed connections. It was so good to see her and be on the receiving end of so many hugs. I'll be heading to Asheville to take her to lunch soon.

I am so excited to find my energy again. I danced like a crazy man.

No comments:

Post a Comment