Friday, July 2, 2010

Oops, I did it again!

Guitar Acquisition Syndrome.

I wonder if there is a 12 step program for it? Like a man walking into a bar with the intent of just looking around, I went to a guitar shop and walked out with a lightened wallet and carrying a guitar case.

My first mistake was buying 6 guitar stands (on sale in packs of 3) and only owning five guitars. The empty one weighed on my mind.

I had been intending to visit a shop in Statesville, NC, I'd only recently discovered. I walk in around 10am to see the most wonderful collection of instruments, covering the walls.

I intended to look at Martins because everyone seems to play a Martin.  I first played a new Alvarez Yairi DY-40 (Spruce top, Mahogany b/s) and electronics, then played 4 Martin(s) D-18 (2) and an all mahogany D-15 (really interesting sound) and a D-16GT. Then, I went back to the Yairi to compare and couldn't let it go after the price came down. I am having to accept that I am not a Martin guy and I have it bad for the handmade Japanese Yairis (now owning 4). My Yamaha LLX26C still rules the roost but the DYC-40 had a better bluesy sound and a bit more of the low end. When I left the store with the guitar, I felt like my search was over ...for a while.


No comments:

Post a Comment