Friday, April 20, 2012

Skye


I had to put down my girl Skye today. She came to live with us in the summer of 1999. While in a long distance relationship (Davidson - Cambridge, England) I agreed to us getting a dog when Harriet returned. Soon, we were looking at dog books deciding which breed to get. I told her of a time where I met a Cardigan Welsh Corgi while an undergraduate. Once Harriet heard the Queen of England kept Corgis, she knew.

We found Skye at a breeder's and she was going to be too small to show and so she was half price. When she realized we were going to take her home, it occurred to her that we weren't getting a dog, she was getting two people. You never saw a happier dog.

Harriet was struggling with a depressive phase and, as she termed it, Skye was her therapy dog. They would sleep together on the couch.

Skye's favorite toy was a ball that made noise when it rolled. After a few months, we found that we could not give Skye enough attention. No humans could. So, we got her a dog. We tracked down another breeder and discovered while we we're there that Skye's brother (both parents, later litter) was available. Skye and Lewis were joined at the hip and seem to act as one dog.  Our house was so large they could run and run and chase each other. They played endlessly.
Lewis and toy.

We were altogether for the next five years.

I kept the dogs after Harriet left. Skye was distraught. I stayed home every night for a year so she would not feel abandoned.  She was able to change her primary affection. Harriet never returned to visit Skye.

Lewis left us about 4 years ago, in May 2008.. Skye didn't seem to miss him but I feared she was lonely when I was a work so I found Russell in the winter of 2008. Skye was both happy and annoyed with Russell's presence. She was aging and he was enthusiastic about life.

Skye had been slowing down for months and gotten to the point she couldn't walk to her favorite place, The College campus. She adored running up to the students lounging around. She was a favorite there and even only three days ago a student asked about her and she hadn't been to campus in months. She began to go down quickly this week and I knew it was time. I took her to the Vet this afternoon and we decided it was time. While getting her ready, the Vet found two large tumors in her abdomen as if to confirm what I knew already.  Dr. Hay gave her the sedative and I held her in my arms for 15 minutes and waited for her to fall asleep. She went very easily. I'm sure she was relieved.

Skye was with me through many difficult times. She was devoted and will be remembered. She was a good dog.











No comments:

Post a Comment