Tuesday, November 30, 2010

world band radio

Ok, First I'll stop bitching about my illness. Does seem to occupy a great deal of my time and when I get to thinking about blogging, it is usually on my mind. I'll add a post on the results of the next blood work and then enough is enough. Frankly there is just not much going on in my life. Hence the paucity of posts these days.



Ordered my Christmas present today. A friend once told me when you are single you must buy yourself a present at Christmas and birthdays. In keeping with that advice I have. Damn thing went up in price from yesterday. Oh well.

The first picture is the Grundig GS750. A mid-priced shortwave receiver. I can always upgrade later.
The second is an antenna tuner. I had an earlier version of this in the early 90's. worked like a dream. One strings up a run of wire and this little puppy effectively changes its length (electronically) to match the length to match a 1/4 or 1/2 wavelength of the frequency group one is targetting, that os the frequency of the station one is trying to pick up. Now the BBC is easy to get but Radio New Zealand is much harder and at lower wattage output, must be dug out of the din.

Ok, Ok my inner geek is showing badly now.

No comments:

Post a Comment