Monday, November 29, 2010

Good morning friends,


It is Monday, although that means almost nothing to me. It is so odd to experience life as I do these days. I was once, and not so long ago, a very driven man


One of the first differences is the day and date doesn't matter as it once did. I have always organized my life by time. I have years and years of past calendars full of obligations and activities.


Yea, still struggling. I did have an idea from my past. When I was 10 I borrowed a short wave radio and learned there was a whole world coming to me in the form of radio waves.  As a Christmas when I was 11 or 12 I got my own shortwave a Panasonic RF-200. When I wore that one out and in graduate school, I bought a Sony ICF-2200. Then a piece of crap that failed soon after I bought it and I cannot remember the manufacturer. Oh a Uniden.


Considering a Grundig Satellit 750. Not terribly expensive but enough to get me back in the game. The plan would be an MFJ 959C antenna tuner (had one before) and a long wire or inverted L antenna that I could string up around the backyard. I've installed three arrays before. the largest was tuned to the 1/4 wave length of the 90m, 75m, 60m short wave bands.  Might get a police scanner too.


Technically interesting from antenna theory, to radio wave propagation, to studying solar activity and tropospheric excitation. Once one finds a station, then opportunity to get the news from an entirely different viewpoint.  I used to listen to Radio 5 in South Africa, which was a local broadcast before the end of Apartheid. Regionals were my favorite as these broadcasts are intended for folks in their own countries. I also used to hear the pot smugglers off the coast relaying instructions to the small boats about picking up their loads.


Looking into home coffee roasters next.


I have an appointment with my Neurologist this afternoon and hope to discuss CFS or just depression.

No comments:

Post a Comment