Tuesday, February 28, 2012

First day free of cancer (again)

Today is my final radiation treatment for lung cancer. I shall declare February 28 as my first cancer-free day and new anniversary.

In June of 2008 I had a partial seizure and ended up in the hospital where they diagnosed brain cancer. There was one large tumor and several smaller ones. Three surgeries and 13 sessions of Whole Brain Radiation and the cancer was stopped. Almost four years now and no return. However, this summer, a cancerous tumor was found in my  left lung. Surgery, in August, removed the bulk of the tumor. Then 4 treatments of chemotherapy, taking over 3 months. Lastly, 25 radiation treatments, were administered. So, I've been fighting this incident of cancer for 7 months.

Every doctor I have seen is amazed. Imagine, beating cancer once, then twice. I've spent the last four years dealing with this disease. After the Whole Brain Radiation, I suffered both severe memory problems and extreme fatigue. Since the lung cancer, I have become weakened physically. I have never stopped fighting, never spiraled into futility or depression. It has been difficult, I cannot lie. This struggle has taken every bit of emotional energy I have to survive.

My plan is to get in the best physical shape possible. I'll be walking and at the gym 6 days a week, starting tomorrow. I know it will be a slow and likely painful process. In taking on this challenge I can only claim to have kept a good attitude and showing up for 4 surgeries, 38 radiation treatment and four rounds of chemotherapy. I have struggled with memory problems, fatigue, fear, and emotional problems. I worked hard to keep my head above water throughout this ordeal.

Last week, I started feeling like I was free of the cancer. Like a switch being flipped. Done. Over. Gone. Let the celebration begin!

Time to break out that bucket list and get busy.

Thanks for reading and for all the support I have received though this. Without family and friends I'm not sure I would have made it.


No comments:

Post a Comment