Friday, February 17, 2012

I made it to the show

Went to see one of my favorite bands last night at the Fillmore. Umphreys McGee with my friends, The Mantras. First time I been to a live show in several months. It was like a homecoming. I saw so many old friends. The venue was nice enough to provide a chair for me. I would have not been able to stand for the four hours I was there.

 However, it'll take all weekend to get enough rest to replace the energy expended last night. But, so worth it. 


This morning CBS announced on the show 60 minutes Sunday the story was going to be about depression and the placebo effect. Seems a large study shows that placebos work as well as anti-depressants for mild to moderate depression. Studies showing this have been floating around for years, but now folks outside the medical community are showing interest in this phenomenon. I've been saying this for 25 years. I have always been interested in treatment efficacy studies.  Love it when I'm right.

When you think about it, learning to deal with depressed feelings gives you tools for getting through those times in the future. Taking a pill only teaches you to take pills. I'm pretty sure feeling badly at times is part of the human experience. In my experience, most depressed people have good reasons to be depressed, they live fucked up lives. I used to tell clients, you should be depressed, look at your life!

"Doctor, it hurts when I do this'" reply, "Stop doing it." Learning to change is the goal. 

Anyway, I'm in such a good mood and cannot wait until I can hit the couch for a few hours.





No comments:

Post a Comment