Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Wedding at Pawleys Island SC



I'm home after a 4 days trip to Pawleys Island SC. Erin Butler and Mark Myers finally tied the knot and asked me to shoot their wedding. The ceremony was to be on Sunday so I left here on Saturday. The couple offered to put me up at the beach house where they, 4 children and a revolving cast of characters were also staying. Seems that Erin and Brock Butler's grandfather had built the cabin by hand. The story goes that when Hugo (the giant hurricane of 1989) hit, this structure was one of the few that survived. A girlfriend of mine, named Sloane (1990-91) grew up on that island, so I'd heard all about it but never visited. When Sloane and I would go on vacation, we'd go to Charleston. It was her to first introduced me to that wonderful city.




In preparation, I had replaced all my polarized filters and lens hoods, since the ceremony would be outdoors and on the beach. I was concerned about the direct and intense light. Got my Santa Cruz back from my guitar tech so I could show it off to Brock who'd said he wanted to see it when I was talking to him at a PGroove show. Packed everything I could possibly I could fit on the car and headed out on Saturday morning, after having an early breakfast with my brother. I had not driven that far from home alone in 3 years and was a bit apprehensive about how I would hold up. The trip took almost 5 hours and through a part of South Carolina I'd never seen. Because there a no interstate roads that go anywhere close, I drove for over 100 miles on two lane roads. Reminded me of driving in the 1960's. I saw so many photography opportunities. Old barns, barren fields, old abandoned houses, just wonderful scenes from a time long gone. 
 
 
Erin suggested I not get there before 2pm. I arrived at 2:01 with having not gotten lost once. I got lost on major interstates coming home from Charleston, SC twice last summer.  Unpacked and got to spend time with the happy couple before the others began to arrive.  Early in the evening everyone when to the Litchfield Inn for the rehearsal dinner and to plan the ceremony. On Friday night Erin stayed at the hotel and Mark was left to entertain me. I had only met Mark and few times over the past few years and sitting on the porch that evening we found a friendship. Only three adults were at the house on Friday night. Brock and Suzanne didn't now arrive until 2am and I was already asleep. People started pouring in on Saturday. 

The Ceremony was held at 2pm and it was hot, hot, hot. The minister was not informed that we wanted on aisle so I could shoot. He called everyone to crowd around making it impossible to shoot. "In battle, the first causality is always the plan." I'll start on the shots today (and yes I'm writing this blog now in order avoid getting to work).

I was very excited to get to have time to spend with friends and to meet new ones. I managed to be able to spend a lot of the time with both Erin and Mark, helping the couple with their respective anxieties by being that "calm non-anxious presence." I believe that I was more useful being there for the Erin and Mark than as the photographer.

Erin and Mark both asked me to stay another day, repeatedly. I caved and on Monday night we made a dinner that allowed us to have several people assigned to creating different parts of the meal while I ran around supervising. Boiled shrimp, corn on the cob, salad break and steamed veggies.
Brock played his guitar almost every moment he was awake. Everyone was happy to hear so much fantastic music.
I was surprised to find I was able to function for 4 days. There were periods of exhaustion and I could have had more restful sleep.  All in all it was a great experience. Upon returning home I slept for almost 12 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment