Sunday, July 17, 2011

products

Today is a review of interesting electrified guitar accessories and other things.

First, after my generous and thoughtful brother got me a car detailing service to come to the house and do what I'd been putting off for ages, he suggested I buy a car cover. I found a reasonably priced on and have it over my car now. I have a habit of leaving the top down when I don't think it will rain, but all too often have been wrong. So, problem solved. I plan on using it while my car is at the airport for five days later this week. It even has a way of locking it on.
 
 
Becoming more comfortable and familiar with my Santa Cruz guitar. On my third set of strings, this time double wrapped NewTones from England. Expensive but better. Next I may try medium gauge nickel strings next. I think that was the type on the guitar when I bought it. So this past weekend one of the guests at the beach house played the SCGC and I was able to hear it from a distance. Wow! It sounded heavenly. What tone.


Got the Baggs Anthem SL installed last week and have no had a chance to get used to it. Having a microphone inside is quite different than the usual under saddle pickup. Even different than my Yamaha with the System 41 under saddle pick up and goose neck mic. The Yamaha has a built-in preamp that allows for the manual mixing of the elements. Which brings me to the next device.

 
My Zoom A2 effects pedal does a great job with the Martin D-15, but the Gibson and the SC not so much. So now I'm thinking it is time to add a preamp pedal. I've been considering this option for a long time. I like to take a long time and much study before making a purchase. I've been reading reviews, both professional and users, and have decided on the LR Baggs PARA DI (street $169). Besides adding power to the signal, I'll have a way to modify the tone without heading to the amp, where there isn't much control anyway. Once I get back from NYC I'll put in the order. Strings and Beyond is offering three sets of strings with the Para DI at the same price as everyone else, or to Sweetwater who offers a one year replacement guarantee. Both are good about same day shipping.

Looking to record I've found the Zoom H2 recorder to be difficult to use as a straight mic into the computer. So, after much research I decided on the Blue Microphones, "Snowball" usb mic. Plugged it in and set the input device in the control panel and the in Audacity (open source recording software) set the input device and bang! it works. Looking forward to trying out a few songs. I finally feel like I am ready to make some recordings. Once I figure out how to combine multiple tracks, I'll be able to add bass and even mandolin parts and the occasionally second guitar parts, like the 12 string. 

I bought a set up of wireless headphones so I can play back pre-recorded tracks without the sound getting to the microphone to add other parts. I also hope to learn how to edit out mistakes. The other reason to record my practice giving me a chance to iron out the rough patches and enhance the good.

New York City in 3 days. Seems I've injured my ankle again, tripping over Russell. But I'm not going to cancel even if I must crawl through every gallery and museum.


No comments:

Post a Comment