Thursday, July 7, 2011

boring little details

I think my mind is getting a little better. My reading speed to increasing, my recall is better, and my ability to move items in memory is improving. After a three year downhill slide I'm excited for anything positive, especially if it means I'm not heading into dementia. I spend most of my days reading, playing music, learning new songs, and photography. For the past two weeks I've been cramming the various movements in modern art into my brain in anticipation of the New York trip.

10,000 days clean today. That's a very long time. Staying clean by be the thing I've done best in this life. You might be wondering what I've learned through recovery. I've learned that life and emotional pain are hard to work through without the cushion of changing brain chemistry, even on a temporary basis. I've learned that life is better experienced directly. While emotions can be and often are painful, they must be experienced directly.  I have learned I can survive everything. I've learned that I can take anything and find a way to adapt to the changes. What I found in my recovery is courage. Often what worked at one point in life wasn't going to work in the next. Change is rarely easy but it is the rule not the exception. What I've learned is change what you can, accept what you must.


On Tuesday evening I received a call from a friend to which I haven't spoken in a long while. Sloane was one of my best friends when we were both at UGA studying child and family development. An exceptional women.


Yesterday the fellow came to detailed the car. He did a very good job. Then it rained. Nothing lasts. Hard to believe that my BMW Z3 is 10 years old. It still looks new. I'll have this car for many more years. While totally impractical, is it fun to drive.

I won two tickets to see the Aquarium Rescue Unit at the new Georgia Theatre in Athens, Ga. next month.

Today house cleaning. Tomorrow I'll pick up the Santa Cruz and get to packing for the trip. But right now, I'm going to play some music.

No comments:

Post a Comment