Wednesday, March 23, 2011

a philosophy of greed


I find it almost unimaginable that the philosophy of self-interest of Ayn Rand is gaining in popularity these days. I can only explain it as either complete ignorance of what this view of life entails or that there is a creeping selfishness in this country. A philosophy that justifies complete self-interest, the myth of the Marlboro Man. A "I got mine and fuck you" notion of society. Gordon Gekko would be the personification her ideal.

Leaving aside that she is poor writer, her novels espouse an idea that is completely contrary to any compassionate view of helping others. It's like she read and misunderstood Nietzsche. 

As a teenager I tried to read Atlas Shrugged (not knowing anything about her) and could not even get through the first few chapters. I recall reading it was closely akin to eating dog shit.

So why is she gaining popularity? Look at what has happened to our economy, a direct application of her sick, twisted, ideas. I am disgusted.

-- 

No comments:

Post a Comment